Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What I learned from 19 students

My decade-long relationship with journalism hit the skids in recent months.
Newspapers were closing and readers didn't care.
I was adopting the "I'm taking my marbles and going home" attitude .
Mature, I know.
Then I watched Andrea chase a bow-tie wearing man through the food court of Horton Plaza. She scored a 10-minute interview with this big-time doctor on the subject of tattoos.
A huge smile conquered my face. My heart was beating with passion again. I wanted to sing!
She completed the interview and I honestly don't know who was happier -- me or Andrea.
A few hours later, my joy doubled.
I didn't know I could get happier.
Joe and I dug into some court records and scored gold.
We found documents that told us about the life and times of a murder victim.
WOW!!
Each day of the workshop I had a significant moment with a student.
These exchanges served to remind me why I do this, why I love it.
I found my love again. I want to sing.

All of you have talent that changes the world in some way.
You've changed my little universe.
Its a gift I can never repay and will never forget.

-- Tammy J.

No comments:

Post a Comment