Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Broadcaster's Point of View

So this blog's been dominated by print kids, so I think it's time you get a taste of a day of a broadcast student. It's been fun at NBC -- I think my favorite part is using my badge to open the doors that non-NBC hoi polloi can't get through! HA!

I initially signed up for print, so everything about broadcast news is totally new to me. Writing for TV is completely different than writing newspaper articles -- no cleverness or impressive vocabulary allowed. I prefer article writing, but I'm glad I'm learning this. It's challenging, but fun in its own way.

Editing tape is also really interesting. I can't do it myself, but I watched one of the NBC editors put together my story on swine flu today & it was awesome.

Our broadcast for Tuesday is going well. In fact, it's going too well. We're already overtime & need to cut stories. A little depressing, but still a better problem to have than too few stories.

Also, news anchor Marty Levine's a really cool dude.

-Annica

No comments:

Post a Comment